Common toxins for dogs and cats that are found in our homes

While our house is supposed to be a safe place for our dogs and cats, there are some toxins that are commonly found in our house that we need to watch out for. These common toxins can be chemicals that you may use to cook and clean, foods that we eat, or plants that are commonly used to decorate the outside of our house. By knowing what things are not safe for our pets, we can keep these out of reach and help keep our pets happy and health.

5 common toxic items found in our homes

There are many things that are found in your house that can be dangerous for your pet. These are few things that commonly cause issues with dogs that are found in almost every house.


There are many foods that we eat each day that are toxic to dogs. There are some foods that should be off limit in your cat’s and dog’s diet and should never be offered to your pets.

  • Chocolate, especially bakers’ chocolate
  • Onions and garlic
  • Grapes and raisins
  • Macadamia Nuts
  • Coffee
  • Avocados
  • Cherries
  • Citrus fruits
  • Dairy
  • Prunes
  • Artificial sugars such as xylitol
  • Very sugary or salty foods
  • Soda and Alcohol

If your dog does accidentally get ahold of any of these foods, it is best for your dog to see your vet right away. Some of these food items will cause mild GI issues such as vomiting and diarrhea, while many of the others can have severe neurological issues.


Many houses have a plant inside and outside. Some plants are toxic for dogs and cats if they chew on them at all.

For cats, Lilies are very toxic to their kidney and can cause irreversible kidney damage.

Dogs are always eating and chewing things that they should not be. These are some common plants that are toxic to dogs:

  • Sago Palm
  • Azaleas
  • Autumn Crocus
  • Oleander
  • Daffodils
  • Dieffenbachia
  • Tulips

If you see your dog or cat munching on any of these plants, it would be best for them to see your vet. Some plants just cause mild GI issues like vomiting and diarrhea, whereas others can cause irreversible liver and kidney damage.

Over the counter human medications

While some issues that your dog or cat is experiencing can easily be treated at home with over the counter human medication, there are many medications that are not safe for your dog or cat to use.

These are common over the counter medications that you should never give to your

  • Tylenol
  • Advil
  • Aleve
  • Aspirin
  • Blood pressure medications
  • Anxiety and depression medications
  • ADD/ ADHD medications
  • Any medication that your doctor may have prescribed for you to take

If you are taking any medications, whether they are prescribed by your doctor or something that you get from the pharmacy, you need to make sure to keep these away from your pets.

There are some over the counter medications that are safe to give to dogs and cats. Before offering your pet any over the counter medications, it is best to consult with your vet to make sure that you do not accidentally give your pet something that will cause
more harm to them.

Many medications that are prescribed for your pet may also be ones that can be given to you. Your dog or cat taking these medications without actually needing them can cause many health issues. If your dog or cat does accidentally get into any medications, it is best that they see a vet right away. Some of these have antidotes that can reverse the effects that these medications are having on your cat’s or dog’s body.

Recreational Products

Some people smoke cigarettes or marijuana. Both of these can be very toxic to both your dog and cat. You really should not smoke any of these products around your dog. Also, keep these products away from your pets. They will be curious and want to eat the leftovers of these products.

Marijuana can cause your dog or cat to have seizures and become very lethargic and dilutional. Cigarettes can cause severe vomiting, and if your dog and cat eat enough, it can be life-threatening.

If your dog or cat does get into your Marijuana stash or into your box of cigarettes, they should see your vet right away. Your vet can give your pet medications to help prevent many of the unwanted side effects of ingesting these products.


There are many chemicals that we use every day in and around our house. These chemicals can also be toxic to our dogs and cat. Cleaning products should not be left out for your dog or cat to drink from. When mopping your floor, make sure to watch the mop bucket and prevent your pet from using it as a water source.

There are also chemicals in the garage that can be dangerous for your dog. Antifreeze is found in all cars and is very deadly if your dog or cat licks this chemical. Also, rat poisons and bug sprays can be very dangerous for your dog to eat. Most of these household chemicals are very sweet tasting, and most pets love the taste. If you have any of these chemicals in your house, it is best to keep them up and away from your pets.

If your dog or cat does happen to get into any chemicals found in your garage or house, it is best that they see your vet right away. Your vet can start your dog on medications to help reverse the toxic signs and help prevent any further damage.

Final thoughts

While many times we think that our house is a safe spot for our dogs and cats to live, there are many things that are found in your house that can be dangerous for your pet. If your dog or cat gets into anything that you think is toxic or they start showing signs of toxicity such as lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, or seizures, they should see a vet right away. Many times, the sooner your pet gets medical attention, the better the outcome.

Please follow and like us: